Match Preview: Union vs. Sporting Kansas City 10-24-12
Sporting Kansas City
LIVESTRONG Sporting Park
10/24/12 - 8:30 P.M.
The Comcast Network
1 Wins – 3 Draws – 2 Loss
- This will be the 7th meeting between these two teams.
- The Union are 1-2-1 against SKC in PPL Park.
- The last meeting between these two sides saw the Union lose 2-0 in the US Open Cup.
OUT: FW Teal Bunbury (L knee ACL tear); MF Roger Espinoza (R ankle sprain); DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture)
OUT: DF Bakary Soumare (R knee menisectomy recovery)
DOUBTFUL: DF Gabriel Farfan (R ankle stress reaction)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Sheanon Williams (L ankle peroneal/Achilles strain), MF Danny Cruz (L big toe sesamoid stress fracture); FW Zach Pfeffer (L knee contusion)
PROBABLE: MF Freddy Adu (L quad strain)
- Sporting Kansas City are currently sitting on top of the Eastern Conference with 60 points.
- SKC has not lost a game since July 28, when they lost to the Columbus Crew.
- The Union have the third best “Goals Allowed” in the Eastern Conference. They are behind Houston and SKC.
- The Union have literally nothing except their physical well-being to lose in this game.
- Kei Kamara’s facial hair is an abomination.
- Kei Kamara: Seeing that he barely missed qualification for Sierra Leone’s Olympic diving team, Kei Kamara played soccer for SKC this season. The Flopper in Chief is dangerous on the wing and has 11 goals and 6 assists on the season. Kamara is also listed at 6’3″, taller than any player on the Union except Chase Harrison, Chris Konopka, and Bakary Soumare, so he’s dangerous on set pieces.
- Aurelien Collin: He may be a defender and he may be French, but Collin is an offensive force to fear. Collin is dangerous on set pieces, which are something the Union totally suck at (In case you didn’t know). Covering him on corners and free kicks will be critical if the Union want to have a shot at winning this game.
Match Up to Watch:
- CJ Sapong vs. Carlos Valdés/Amobi Okugo: Sapong is a big threat in the middle of the field. With great service coming in from Kamara on the wing, Sapong is the type of striker who will get on the end of every cross sent into the box. He’s big at 6’1″, which will be more difficult for Okugo than Valdés to deal with.
- Kei Kamara: As I suggested in the “Danger Men” section of the post, Kei Kamara dives a lot. The last time he was at PPL Park he routinely threw himself to the ground whining if even the slightest contact was made on him.
Prediction: 3-1 Sporting Kansas City
- The Union showed nothing special against Houston and I don’t think they’re going to stand up to a Sporting Kansas City team that needs at least a point to clinch the top spot in the Eastern Conference. SKC should come out of the gate attacking and looking for the early lead.
- I’m hoping that in this point in the season Hackworth will experiment with the lineup a bit. Throw Cristhian Hernandez in there, let McLaughlin run around a bit. The lineup we’ve seen recently hasn’t really been doing too well and it’d be nice to see all this “young talent” we have sitting around.
- I think this game will end up being a reflection of the season as a whole: bad. The Union haven’t really gotten their act together to beat a serious team all season, so why should they start now?
Feel free to Twitter at me if you want to talk soccer, or anything for that matter.