Match Preview: Union vs Crew
COLUMBUS CREW STADIUM, Columbus, Ohio
9/29/12 – 7:30 P.M.
2 Wins – 0 Ties- 4 Loss
- This will be the 7th meeting between the two teams. The Union have won 2 out of the last 3 meetings.
- Game stats for the last match between the two teams show a huge advantage for the Union. Possession was 60-40, Attempts on goal 20-8, corner kicks 11-2, yet the Union loss 2-1.
- Last meeting, on August 29th, The Union lost on a stoppage time goal by New Jersey’s own Eddie Gaven.
- This is the third meeting between the two clubs. So far this year, the teams have split the series. both games were played at PPL Park.
- The Union is winless in Columbus.
- OUT: FW Tommy Heinemann (L knee surgery); GK William Hesmer (R hip surgery); MF Bernardo Anor (L knee ACL tear)
- DOUBTFUL: DF Carlos Mendes (R hamstring strain)
- QUESTIONABLE: MF Danny O’Rourke (L ankle sprain)
- PROBABLE: GK Andy Gruenebaum (lower back stiffness)
- OUT: FW Krystian Witkowski (concussion symptoms)
- DOUBTFUL: MF Danny Cruz (L big toe sesamoid stress fracture/R calf strain)
- QUESTIONABLE: MF Keon Daniel (R knee contusion); MF Freddy Adu (L quad strain); DF Bakary Soumare (R knee inflammation); DF Gabriel Farfan (R ankle contusion)
- The Union broke their winless streak with a surprised 3-1 win over the Houston Dynamo.
- The Union scored 3 goals matching the total they have scored in their last 6 games.
- Even after scoring 3 goals in their last game, The Union still rank last in the East in goals scored with 29. 5 goals behind last place Toronto FC.
- This is a must win game for the Columbus Crew, who currently sit in 6th place and 1 point back of the last playoff spot.
- The Crew are in a major slump. Losing 3 out of their last 4 games allowing 7 goals while scoring 3.
- Jairo Arrieta: The Costa Rica international have taken well to MLS. Arrieta is second in the team in both goals scored with 7 and in assists with 4. The amazing fact is that he has done it in half a season.
- Federico Higuain: The older brother of Argentinian international Gonzalo Higuain. Federico has played in only 9 games, yet leads the team in assists with 6 and has scored 3 goals.
- Eddie Gaven: New Jersey’s own Eddie Gaven leads the team in scoring with 7 goals. Eddie also leads the teams in shots with 48.
Match Ups to Watch:
- Eddie Gaven vs Brian Carroll: In Brian Carroll’s first return to Columbus he again will have the opportunity to lock horns with Eddie Gaven. Last match, Eddie scored the game winner in the 95th minute.
- Jairo Arrieta/Federico Higuain/Emilio Renteria vs Union’s Defense: Can Carlos Valdes and company keep the Crew’s talented forwards out of the scoring sheet?
- After losing the last match on a 95th minute goal, while the Crew was a man down. I can honestly tell you that I hate them all.
- Referee: Matthew Foerster.
- SAR (bench): Adam Wienckowski
- JAR (opposite): Matthew Nelson
- 4th: Abbey Okulaja
Prediction: LOSS: 2-0
- Did the Philadelphia Union turn the corner or was last game a mirage? This will be a true test for the young squad. Columbus is hungry and in desperate need of a win.
- The Union have caught the injury bug. Freddy Adu and Keon Daniel left the last match with injuries. In addition Gabriel Farfan missed the game with an ankle injury. All three are listed as questionable on the injury report.
- Will the Union stick with Ray Gaddis on defense after giving the union such a spark even if Farfan is healthy? We’ll have to see what John Hackworth has in store for us.
- Last game against the Houston Dynamo, I predicted a 2-0 loss. I clearly won’t be quitting my day job to work in Vegas.