Match Preview: Union vs Dynamo
PPL Park – Chester, PA
9/23/12 – 4:00 P.M.
2 Wins – 2 Ties- 1 Loss
- This will be the 6th meeting between the two teams. The Union have a sligth edge in the regular season series.
- Last meeting, on June 30th, The Union lost on a controversial penalty call that was awarded to Brian Ching in the 83rd minute. In my opinion it was he dove.
- The Union played Houston twice during last year’s Playoffs, both games resulted in losses.
- OUT: DF Corey Ashe (L hamstring strain)
- QUESTIONABLE: DF Jermaine Taylor (L quad contusion)
- OUT: FW Krystian Witkowski (concussion symptoms)
- QUESTIONABLE: DF Bakary Soumare (R knee inflammation); DF Gabriel Farfan (R ankle contusion); MF Danny Cruz (L sesamoid stress reaction)
- PROBABLE: FW Zach Pfeffer (R hip flexor strain)
- The Union are winless in their last 8 games. 0 wins, 4 ties and 4 losses.
- During the current winless streak, the Union have scored a total of 4 goals.
- The Union currently rank last in the East in goals scored with 26, The Dynamo ranks 4th with 45 goals scored.
- Houston Dynamo currently sits in 5th place, holding on to the last playoff spot.
- Dynamo is coming off a 4-0 thrashing of FAS in CCL action on Thursday.
- Brad Davis: Having a carreer year for the 4th year in a row, Brad’s left foot is a dangerous weapon that causes fits in the Union’s defense.
- Will Bruin: The young and skilful forward is leading the Houston Dynamo in goals with 11 and is tied for third in assists with 3.
- Brian Ching: The veteran striker has the Union’s number, he scored the game winner during the last game between the teams.
Match Ups to Watch:
- Brad Davis vs Brian Carroll: Brian has done a good job of keeping Brad in check, the problem comes on set pieces. Is the Union really better at set pieces like John Hackworth suggests?
- Will Bruin vs Carlos Valdes: Can Valdes keep Dynamo’s leading scorer out of the scoring sheet? The 6’2 Forward has a height advantage over the Union backline, can he take advantage of it?.
- Brian Ching: The veteran doesn’t play as much due to the resurgence of Will Bruin and the fact that he’s old, but the fact remains that he’s one of the best strikers in MLS history. He manages to get under defenders skins and uses that to his advantage. I happen to dislike him very much and try every chance I get to let him know my feelings towards him.
- Referee: Edvin Jurisevic.
- SAR (bench): James Conlee
- JAR (opposite): Mark Cahen
- 4th: Ted Unkel
Prediction: LOSS: 2-0
- It is clear to me that John Hackworth is over his head, his tactics and substitution are not working. He’s being outcoached game after game. He seems clueless and there’s no change in sight. He’s not part of the solution he’s a big part of the problem.
- The Front Office has not made a soccer decision in 2 years, as long as this continues, what you have seen in the last 2 months will be the norm.
- My prediction is that Houston will again keep the Union scoreless and will continue the winless streak to 9 games.