Football Federation Of Belize (FFB) was founded in 1980, and became member of FIFA in 1986.
The Premier League of Belize was established in 2011 after the merger between the Belize Premier Football League and the Super League of Belize. The league has 2 seasons The Opening and The Closing. The new league has 12 teams divided into two zones (South and North). After the regular season is complete, the top two teams from each zone will advance to the playoffs.
Belize is presently ranked 140th in the FIFA world ranking.
WORLD CUP HISTORY:
- Belize has never qualified to play in a World Cup.
- Belize has never qualified to play in the Olympics.
GOLD CUP HISTORY:
- Belize has never qualified to play in a Gold Cup.
COPA CENTROAMERICANA HISTORY:
- Copa Centroamericana Appearances: 7
- Copa Centroamericana Final Appearances:0
- Copa Centroamericana Championships: 0
- Games Played: 20 (0 Wins – 4 Ties – 16 Loses)
- Goals Scored: 15 – Goals Allowed: 55
- Leading Scorer: Deon McCaulay – 2 Goals (2009)
PLAYERS OF YESTERYEAR:
- There’s not enough history for Belize to have a yesteryear.
PLAYERS OF TODAY:
- Deon McCaulay: 24 years old, Deportivo Savio (Honduras). Considered to be Belize’s best player of today. McCaulay is a natural striker with unlimited ability. McCaulay is the top goal scorer for the Belizean National team.
- Elroy Smith: 30 years old, Deportivo Savio (Honduras). Despite playing Sweeper for Savio, Smith tied for 5th in goals scored with 8 during 2010-2011 Clausura.
- Harrison Roches: 28 years old, CD Marathon (Honduras). Cousin of Elroy Smith. Roches scored 3 goals for Belize during World Cup Qualifying.
- Shane Orio: 31 years old, CD Marathon (Honduras). Belize’s best goalkeeper in its limited history. Orio is one of 5 Belizean players playing in Honduras.
PLAYERS TO WATCH:
- Amin August: 21 years old, Santa Elena
- Luis Mendez: 21 years old, Hankook Verdes
PLAYERS CURRENTLY IN MLS: (0)
- There are no players from Belize currently on MLS rosters.
TEAMS TO KNOW:
- Placencia Assassins FC: Based out of Placencia. Winners of the Opening season of the Premier League of Belize. The Assassins won the first official playoff against Police United in aggregate 3-2.
- Police United FC: Based out of Belize City. Runner-up during the Premier League of Belize inaugural playoffs.
- Belize Defence Force FC: Based out of San Ignacio. First place during the Premier League of Belize’ regular season in the North division. Belize Defence Force is sponsored by the National Army.
- FC Belize: Based out of Belize City. Took second place during the Premier League of Belize regular season in the north division. FC Belize was eliminated in the playoffs by eventual runner-up Police United.
USELESS SOCCER FACTS ABOUT BELIZE.
- In 2011, Belize was suspended by FIFA for “Government Interference“
- While being interviewed, Elroy Smith stated that “In Belize the good players get paid about $300 per week, therefore most players dedicate themselves to something else”.
- Here I thought Belize would be an easy country to profile due to its short history. Little did I know that I would have to spend practically every night during my vacation doing research. Damn you Belize!!
Next week we’ll continue Futbol In The Americas (The Series) with COSTA RICA.
Don’t forget to read about the CONMEBOL countries we previously profiled.